By Martin Davies
Fully revised and restructured, this clean variation deals scholars and trainee social employees an incisive and authoritative advent to the topic. in addition to solely new sections on thought and perform, the specialist contributions that have formed the companion’s top recognition were up to date and now comprise leading edge standalone essays on social paintings theory.
- Comprehensively transformed new version comprising six substantive sections protecting crucial themes for trainee social employees – in impact, six books in one
- Includes an in depth advent and chapters through top specialists at the concentration and function of social work
- Provides a unified textbook for trainees and a useful expert reference volume
- Features a wealth of recent fabric on idea and perform along distinct expositions of the social and mental framework, phases within the human existence cycle, and the targets and center parts of social work
- Each bankruptcy lists 5 key issues to recollect, questions for dialogue, and suggestions for extra reading
Read Online or Download The Blackwell Companion to Social Work PDF
Best social services & welfare books
Within the first half the 20th century, white elites who ruled Virginia politics sought to extend nation keep watch over over African american citizens and lower-class whites, whom they observed as oversexed and missing sexual self-restraint. which will reaffirm the prevailing political and social order, white politicians legalized eugenic sterilization, elevated nation efforts to manage venereal affliction and prostitution, cracked down on interracial marriage, and enacted statewide motion picture censorship.
Observes social constructions and inequalities with a severe, clash standpoint. Taking a clash approach, top-selling Social difficulties 12e focuses at the underlying good points of the social international so as to support scholars to appreciate brand new social problems. A continually sociological method in Social difficulties Census replace establishes a coherent framework that enables scholars to view social difficulties as interrelated.
Contemporary terrorists aren't new. Terror, homicide, and stealth have regularly flourished in close-knit, blindly obedient cults. in truth, the very be aware "assassin" has its origins in a medieval warrior cult of the center East, whereas the unique Thugs have been a mystery band who terrorized India within the nineteenth century.
The topic of this paintings is the interaction among daily lives and "the state". it truly is one in every of 4 volumes of essays from the British Sociological organization convention "Sociology and background" held at Edinburgh collage in March 1988. the entire individuals tackle the upkeep of unequal relationships among women and men and take the view that category and gender struggles are necessary to an realizing of political swap on the point of either the neighborhood and the vital nation.
- Child Welfare and Development: A Japanese Case Study
- Ensuring Safe Food: From Production to Consumption
- The Dynamics of Child Poverty in Industrialised Countries
- The EU and the Domestic Politics of Welfare State Reforms: Europa, Europae (Work and Welfare in Europe)
- Evaluation and Action in the Social Environment
- Nursing Leadership and Management: Theories, Processes and Practice
Additional info for The Blackwell Companion to Social Work
International comparisons make it evident that there is no ‘right answer’ to the questions of who should provide social work services, and of what kind. In many European countries, social workers are state employees with wide responsibilities in relation to employment and social insurance. In contrast, social services in Australia rest firmly with the voluntary sector and in the United States, most qualified social workers are either self-employed or working for private agencies as counsellors and therapists.
Surely, social welfare is one of those rare topics which closes rather than widens political differences? Who could be against the proposition that help should be offered to those who need it the most? Well, as this chapter aims to demonstrate, almost all the apparently straightforward ideas which these questions contain turn out, on closer examination, to be more complicated and more contested than a casual observer might have imagined. Far from it being ground upon which differences are merged, social welfare and social work have become policy and practice areas in which some of the most fundamentally different ways of thinking about society are fought out.
2010) Sociology for Social Workers and Probation Officers, 2nd edn. London: Routledge. E. and Myers, S. (2008) Social Work: Making a Difference. Bristol: Policy Press/ BASW. Fraser, D. (2009) The Evolution of the British Welfare State: A History of Social Policy since the Industrial Revolution, 4th edn. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. Payne, M. (2005) The Origins of Social Work. Continuity and Change. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. L. (1995) Sociology and the Periphery. Toronto: Garramond Press.