By Benjamin M. Compaine
Until eventually the Eighties, it was once presumed that technical swap in such a lot communications companies may perhaps simply be monitored from centralized nation and federal organizations. This presumption was once lengthy outmoded sooner than the commercialization of the net. With the net, the long-forecast convergence of voice, video, and textual content bits turned a fact. laws, capped via the Telecommunications Act of 1996, created new quasi-standards corresponding to "fair" and "reasonable" for the FCC and courts to use, resulting in nonstop litigation and coffee gridlock.This ebook addresses a number of the many telecommunications parts on which public coverage makers, company strategists, and social activists needs to succeed in contract. subject matters comprise the legislation of entry, net structure in a advertisement period, communications infrastructure improvement, the electronic Divide, and knowledge coverage concerns resembling highbrow estate and the retransmission of television programming through the web.
Read Online or Download Communications Policy in Transition: The Internet and Beyond PDF
Best intellectual property books
Taking a multidisciplinary technique that they determine as a "cyber-realist learn agenda," the members to this quantity learn the clients for digital democracy by way of its shape and practice--while averting the pitfall of treating the advantages of digital democracy as being self-evident.
Created by means of pros with broad adventure in either legislations and publishing, this helpful computer advisor solutions nearly any query writers are inclined to face bearing on their rights and the legislation. absolutely up-to-date with the newest details on digital rights and elevated assurance of reasonable use and permissions, this new 3rd variation positive factors the most recent adjustments in copyright legislations, e-book contracts, company contracts, collaboration agreements, limits of expression, the liberty of knowledge Act, and tax legislation.
Who owns your genetic info? may well it's the medical professionals who, during elimination your spleen, decode a couple of cells and switch them right into a patented product? In 1990 the ideal court docket of California stated certain, marking one other milestone at the internet. This impressive case is among the many who James Boyle takes up in Shamans, software program, and Spleens, a well timed examine the infinitely difficult difficulties posed through the data society.
No put on or markings - appears to be like new even with its age.
- The Rhetoric of Intellectual Property: Copyright Law and the Regulation of Digital Culture
- The Regulation of Cyberspace: Control in the Online Environment (Glasshouse S)
- Patent Savvy for Managers: Spot & Protect Valuable Innovations in Your Company
- The Rights of Authors, Artists, and other Creative People, Second Edition: A Basic Guide to the Legal Rights of Authors and Artists (ACLU Handbook)
- Law's Moving Image (Glasshouse S)
- Patent Pending in 24 Hours
Extra resources for Communications Policy in Transition: The Internet and Beyond
Under the Commission’s 120-day request process, an ISP that requests a new ONA basic service from the BOC or GTE must receive a response within 120 days regarding whether the BOC or GTE will provide the service. The BOC or GTE must give speciﬁc reasons if it will not offer the service. The BOC or GTE’s evaluation of the ISP request is to be based on the ONA selection criteria set forth in the original Phase I Order: (1) market area demand; (2) utility to ISPs as perceived by the ISPs themselves; (3) feasibility of offering the service based on its cost; and (4) technical feasibility of offering the service.
ONA Review, 4 FCC Rcd. at 171, par. 325. See also GTE ONA, 11 FCC Rcd. at 1398, par. 16. 97. GTE ONA, 11 FCC Rcd. at 1427–28, par. 93. See also ONA Review, 4 FCC Rcd. at 59, par. 110. 98. In re The Bell Atlantic Telephone Companies’ Offer Of Comparably Efﬁcient Interconnection To Intranet Management Service Providers, CCBPol 98-01, DA 98-1655, Order, 13 FCC Rcd. 15617, par. 27 (CCB August 20, 1998); Ameritech’s CEI Plan, 13 FCC Rcd. at 97, par. 45; BOC’s Joint Petition, 13 FCC Rcd. at 13758–59, par.
97. GTE ONA, 11 FCC Rcd. at 1427–28, par. 93. See also ONA Review, 4 FCC Rcd. at 59, par. 110. 98. In re The Bell Atlantic Telephone Companies’ Offer Of Comparably Efﬁcient Interconnection To Intranet Management Service Providers, CCBPol 98-01, DA 98-1655, Order, 13 FCC Rcd. 15617, par. 27 (CCB August 20, 1998); Ameritech’s CEI Plan, 13 FCC Rcd. at 97, par. 45; BOC’s Joint Petition, 13 FCC Rcd. at 13758–59, par. 3. 99. ” Computer III FNPRM 1998, 13 FCC Rcd. at 6100, note 263. 100. Computer III FNPRM 1998, 13 FCC Rcd.