By Sonya Michel, Rianne Mahon
Even if childcare is visible as a part of society's academic coverage, welfare coverage, or employment coverage impacts not just its shape and content material but in addition its public photograph. The members during this quantity use present polices for the care of babies and preschool youngsters to investigate debates and tune the emergence of recent nation welfare practices throughout quite a few social and political configurations-and supply a few conclusions approximately which tools paintings the easiest.
Read Online or Download Child Care Policy at the Crossroads: Gender and Welfare State Restructuring PDF
Similar social policy books
During this e-book, 16 major communications coverage students current a finished telecommunications coverage time table for the recent federal management. The articles handle more than a few issues, together with community neutrality, rural connectivity, media possession, minority possession, spectrum coverage, common broadband coverage, and media for kids.
Facts as opposed to Politics appears at a contentious zone of united kingdom felony justice and drug coverage making. in response to unique examine and featuring new arguments approximately coverage making methods, the booklet contributes to the talk approximately coverage making, in particular hugely politicized concerns. It takes as its start line the idea that proof is a tricky proposal and that there are consistently assorted rules approximately what should still count number as proof in any given context, in addition to the common confrontation over the function facts performs in coverage making.
All around the Western international gaps among wealthy and terrible are widening—or the headlines say. not anyone has performed extra to unfold this view than the French monetary historian Thomas Piketty, whose best-selling quantity, Capital within the 20th Century, not just files the method yet represents one lengthy demand decreasing the gaps with a purpose to create a extra equivalent society.
This ebook bargains a comparative research of the precise reports of the Peruvian and Bolivian cocaleros as political actors. In doing so, it illustrates how coca, an across the world criminalzsed sturdy, affected the trail and end result of cocalero political empowerment in every one case.
- Nordic Social Attitudes in a European Perspective
- Philosophical Perspectives on Democracy in the 21st Century, 1st Edition
- Social Policy in an Ageing Society: Age and Health in Singapore
- Towards Integrated Social Policies in Arab Countries: Framework And Comparative Analysis
- Case Studies in Human Ecology, 1st Edition
- The Political Economy of Liberation: Thomas Sowell and James Cone on the Black Experience
Additional resources for Child Care Policy at the Crossroads: Gender and Welfare State Restructuring
Sweden). 18. As Gornick argues, m en’s real wage growth in Australia, Canada, and the US “has been well below that found in most other OECD countries in recent years” (1999, 24). She does not suggest that this is the sole explanation, however. 19. The province of British Columbia, under a social dem ocratic government, has launched an ambitious child care scheme. Although the first step focused on provision of be fore and after care for school-aged children, the NDP has made the extension of this to preschool children part of its 2001 election campaign.
At the same time, the women’s movement, too, found itself increasingly polarized between those interested in enhancing the social status of full-time housewives and those wanting to protect a mother’s right to work. On the one hand, for example, the cooperation between the state and 40 Gender and Generation women’s groups such as NFRWO in the New Life Campaign continued throughout this period. In the aftermath of the 1955 social contract, the New Life Campaign shifted its focus to educating middle-class housewives, a goal that was often ad vanced in concert with the state and business to reinforce the legitimacy of the cor porate-centered welfare system (Kimoto 1997).
29. The Canada Assistance Plan, adopted in 1966, opened the door to federal contribu tions to child care on a cost-shared basis. 30. Although Kremer provides information on Belgian child care, she chose to focus on the Flemish side because (1) responsibility has been devolved to the Flemish and Walloon communities respectively and (2) the Flemish community has a lot in common with the Dutch in terms of language, religion, and culture. 31. Gornick places Dutch women at the top among fifteen OECD countries in terms of the percentage of women working part-time (59 percent of all women and 89 percent of mothers with a child under six years of age; Gornick 1999, table 2).